Good morning! I’m here today to share with you guys a free update I did to my living room that made a big impact! I’m pretty in love with my living room right now. Buuuuuut, if you follow me on Facebook you know I have been practicing my photography skills. Did you see my pallet centerpiece I posted the other day? The pictures were pretty good if I do say so myself haha. Photographing a whole room though…let’s just say I need A LOT more practice! So if you can do me a big favor and pretend they aren’t blurry that’d be great, mmmmkay? Now that we have an understanding let’s get into the crystal clear pictures 😉
Isn’t it cute? I made the photo blocks a long time ago. They were hanging on a different wall in my living room so I just moved them over. I had the “R” already. I think I got it at Hobby Lobby a few years back and just painted it blue. I cut the hearts and “family” out of a scrap of 1×12 with my jigsaw. Let’s just take a minute to admire the “family”! Yep. That, boys and girls, is lot’s of practice and just as many bad words haha. I used to despise the jigsaw but now I love it! The hearts are painted to match the “R” and the frames and “family” are painted to match the dresser. I love it all. Especially the frames!
They were so simple! I went out to the garage and literally found my worst scraps since I was going for the rustic look. I knew what I was putting in them so I sized them to fit what I was using. Once my boards were cut I was ready to put them together. Normally when I make frames I miter the corners and just use my brad nailer and some glue to put them together. Since I couldn’t nail these ones I used the Kreg Jig. I used the K4 Master System (aff. link) but if you are wanting to try it out without the big price tag this one (aff. link) is great to see if you like it! Once they were put together I gave them a quick sanding. I mean a really quick sanding haha. If you came and ran your hands across them right now there’s about a 90% chance of splinters. Once they were sanded-ish I got out my HomeRight sprayer. I sprayed them with some Dark Walnut stain. Remember to wipe the stain off or else it won’t dry well. It just gets all sticky and gross. After the stain dried I sprayed them with the same paint I used on the dresser. Let that dry and sand them. Now go hang them up and admire them! This is the view from my office.
And this is the view coming from the hallway.
It feels so much more like a home now. I’m really happy with the way it turned out! And my hubby is happy that it didn’t cost a cent haha. Well, thanks for stopping by! Now get out into your garage and start using up that scrap pile!
Linking up at Craft Dictator